It was only this morning when I got Scott's phone call confirming the orders he got via email and my mind is still whirling. His next base is Greenland. Because we knew this was more than just a small likelihood, he and I have already been discussing what will happen to Violet and me if he were to go to a base where we wouldn't be able to join him.
I know that I plan to move closer to my family in Colorado. Whether it be near Littleton, which is about 40 minutes outside of Denver or to Pagosa Springs, my sister's town in the southwestern Colorado, I don't know. There are advantages to either location and I have to really start nailing down logistics of budget, benefits to active duty spouses/family and what I need to get through my year apart from Scott.
When people have asked me how I would feel about Scott being away from me for any amount of time for his remote, I would answer with, "Well, we spent most of our relationship apart so far, so I guess it won't be too much different." I still mean that, but I feel as though I should clarify.
It's true that we held a long distance relationship in the past, plus the eight months it took from the time I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him to when I finally got to move to Idaho, these past experiences would only help us with the upcoming time apart. I will feel badly about the things Scott will miss out on in Violet's "firsts" but technology is our friend and will help with talking, Skyping, video recording, or just minute-to-minute updates on Facebook. In all honesty, I do feel like my life just got REALLY good and now I have to adjust to a new dynamic, but I'd much rather this happen now than later.
My optimism is convincing me that a year apart is a cake walk when compared to the years we've already spent in each others' lives but not quite together.
2 comments:
I believe you will continue to be the superwoman that you are, and the supercouple that you are, and get through it. I will also volunteer to come out and visit you and spend time with you and that delicious baby.
you know, you could always move to NJ and hang out with some friends during the year ...
Post a Comment